Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Encouraged

Welcome to another weekly installment of the MckLinky Blog Hop. This week's theme as you know is encouragement. Lately, my family has not had a whole lot to be encouraged by. My sister is gravely ill with leukemia and trying to fight off several infections. She is really, really, really sick. Also, my husband and I are facing a financial crisis.

My sister's most recent infection battle started last week, and has been very scary for us all. I dropped everything on Thursday to go to her and my mama to help any way I could. My mom is caring for my niece and nephew, who are almost 6 and 4 1/2. We spent the weekend figuring out what was going on with my sister, and on Sunday we went to church. I was pretty hesitant at first, but I am now glad I went.

The priest at Mama's church, St. Thomas Episcopal in Richmond gave me a message from God. She told this story about Franciscan Friars from Chicago who took a pilgrimage from Roanoke, VA to Washington, DC (read full version here). On this journey, they did not take anything with them except the habits on their backs, wool blanket, toothbrush, water, a change of underwear, and a cell phone (for emergencies). They were going to rely on the kindness of strangers to feed them and give them shelter. They were going to completely trust in God to provide for them. They traveled with so little, so that they would have more for God.

They completely trusted in God, and God provided for them. They did talk with lots of people, and witnessed to them, and gave advice where appropriate. One woman, whose adulterous husband had thrown her (and their daughter) out of the house and on the street came across the Friars and stopped to speak. The daughter found a soda and a chocolate bar to share with the Friars. As the conversation was winding down, the woman gave the Friars her last few dollars. She wanted to learn to trust God, and this was her beginning.

This is my beginning (well, maybe my re-beginning). I am re-learning to trust God. I am reminding myself that He has a Perfect Plan, and that my imperfect mind might not understand right now. He will resolve the financial issues that surround my family. He will wrap my sister in His arms and take care of her. He will provide for our needs and sustain us all.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

Alli C


MckLinky Blog Hop

4 comments:

  1. Hi! You have got some tough stuff to deal with. I am so sorry! It is very hard to let go and trust God. I know that I struggle with it as well.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm feeling you, Alli. Hang in there!

    Prayers & Blessings,
    Mary O.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, hoppin' by to encourage you today! I've got a button for you at my blog http://comfortjoydesigns.blogspot.com/2009/08/mcklinky-blog-hop-encouragement.html

    Blessings,
    Deborah

    comfortjoydesigns.blogspot.com

    browncouchevents.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in There....Dropping by with some encouragment.....A little insomnia tonight..well how about 3 AM...so I am blog hopping

    ReplyDelete