Thursday, November 18, 2010

Sweet Potato Pie

This recipe has been passed down through my grandmother, whom I called Sancy. She was an excellent cook, and I am honored that I have her recipes.

This is a Thanksgiving classic, and Sancy would always make it with the variation at the end. And she would serve Syllabub with it, which is basically whipped cream with sherry in it.

Sweet Potato Pie

3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup cooked, mashed sweet potato
¾ cup evaporated milk *
¼ cup milk
¼ cup butter, melted
2 tsp. vanilla
10 inch pie shell, unbaked

Preheat oven to 400°. Beat together eggs, sugar, and sweet potatoes. Add milk, butter, and vanilla. Pour into pie shell, and bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Then reduce heat to 325° and bake for 30 minutes more. When knife inserted comes out clean, the pie is done.

*¼ cup evaporated milk and ½ cup dry sherry may be substituted for ¾ cup evaporated milk.

Alli C

2 comments:

  1. I am going to have to try this because my son had sweet potatoes for the first time on Thanksgiving. I am sick of making them as now he wants to eat them everyday all. day. long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love recipes that get passed down. Sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete